With a spurt in the number of thefts, robbery, and simultaneous rise in home fire incidents, it has become increasingly important to safeguard yourself, your belongings and your home. 99acres shares some of the must have security gadgets for your apartment.
While most of the societies today ensure sound safety and security of the residents, there are a few things every new homeowner must be aware of. Apart from being dependent on neighbours and the society’s central security system, some measures taken by the residents themselves can easily unwanted thefts and robberies.
Mehernosh Pithawalla, Associate Vice President and Head - Marketing, Sales & Innovation, Godrej Security Solutions Division, Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd., avers, “In today’s world, nuclear families have become the norm with couples spending a considerable chunk of their time outside their homes. Securing homes from thieves and burglars pose a big challenge to homeowners, especially against the backdrop of an increase in cases of crime.”
Fortunately, several gadgets that address the security needs of homeowners are easily available across the country. The gadgets – easy to install and relatively affordable – also do away with the need for personal guards and costly security agencies.
“Living in gated communities with centralized security is considered to be the best option as it offers comprehensive protection”, shares Pithawalla. For instance, at the security gates, there are devices and cameras that prevent outsiders from entering the complex without proper clearances. However, it is advisable to make sure you have double protection for your homes as well.
Let us look at some of the top must-have security gadgets for your apartment home:
- Video door phones: Video door phones come handy in facilitating interactions with strangers without opening the door. The cameras record visuals of visitors even if you are not at home. Some of the latest gadgets even allow you to link your mobile phone to the video system, enabling you to talk to the visitor. The prices for video door phones can range between Rs 5,000-25,000, depending on the brand and specifications.
- CCTV Cameras: CCTV cameras are no longer confined to only office buildings and have become vital for residential complexes, as well. Many homeowners install CCTVs to even monitor domestic help entrusted with the job of looking after children or senior citizens. Such sets are important security tools in preventing thefts. CCTVs can be purchased anywhere between Rs 3,000-23,000, the cost gain dependent on the brand.
- Security alarm systems: It is also a good idea to secure your apartment by using a burglar or intruder alarm system. The most modern ones can trigger alerts on your mobiles in the case of an intrusion and can be even integrated with the fire alarm systems. Such sensors are usually installed on doors and windows which can be easily accessed. When the alarm panel establishes an intrusion or emergency, it sends signals to physical alarms outputs such as sirens or strobe lights. You can purchase such alarms from anywhere between Rs 2,000-20,000.
- Electronic safes: An important aspect of security is to ensure the safety of valuables – primary, secondary and tertiary. While high-value items, such as jewellery, art pieces, cash at home etc. are generally kept in bank lockers, many families often retain important documents and some daily wear jewellery at home. To address their needs, a wide range of home safes are available in the market today. Tamper-proof and fire resistant, in-built buzzers alert the owner if the safe is attacked. Homeowners can store personal stuff like keys, costly pens or jewellery etc. inside the personal locker at night. This prevents the valuables from being misplaced and also helps in avoiding wastage of time, which is spent in searching for those precious items. The prices of such safes will be around Rs 5,000-1.25 lakh.
- LCD peephole viewer: You can opt for LCD peephole viewer as it is sometimes difficult, particularly for senior citizens, to clearly view through the traditional peepholes. The LCD peephole viewer has a screen similar to a digital camera which shows the image of the person on another side of the door. It also has the capability to record images. Average prices of peephole viewer are anywhere around Rs 5,000-25,000.
- Electronic door locks: People usually do not give much importance to a proper locking system for the main doors which results in thieves getting easy access to your home. Hence, it is very important to install electronic door look which cannot be broken easily and can be opened only through the special keys associated with it. Depending upon the features, the prices can range between Rs 1,700 and Rs 10,000.
- Fire extinguishers: While it is mandatory for residential projects to have fire extinguishers installed in every building, it is recommended to have additional extinguisher installed at your home as well. It is also important that learn how to use it. Alternatively, you can opt for portable fire extinguishers. While wall hanging extinguishers are available for around Rs 2,000, small hand portable extinguishers can be bought for around Rs 600-700.
- Intercom: Intercom is a telephone facility which offers connectivity within the apartment buildings and to the main entrance and the security area. Make sure you have working intercom connection to reach out to anyone in case of an exigency. You might need not pay an additional amount as all apartments are required to have intercom facility.
Experts opine that the security of your home is in your hands. It’s your responsibility to provide a safe home to your family. It is better to spend some money on safety than losing more due to lack of safety.